Sunday, October 08, 2006

procrastination, Part I

or, How Farah found the perfect volunteer org for her

As you know, I've been bored and frustrated lately, most likely because I am so self-centered. The solution therefore is to focus on others, i.e., find some type of community outreach activity that would provide balance, allow me to use my talents to help others, and most importantly get me out of the house.

I don't consider ladling soup or retrieving empty water bottles particularly fulfilling.

I decided that the best recourse would be to rejoin Mensa, and then investigate what worthy causes the local chapter espouses. This would guarantee that least a modicum of brain activity would be involved.

I could simply email the national group back home, and ask that they forward my previous test results. But I don't care to remind them that I'm still alive. Besides, it would be interesting to know how I'd do this time around.

So I looked up testing information. Mensa Testing Day 2006 is on Saturday, Oct. 21st if you're interested. The fee is $30, and I believe the test takes 30 minutes.

North Texas Mensa hold testing sessions at the Reading & Radio Resource.

"Reading & Radio Resource (formerly North Texas Taping and Radio for the Blind) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) volunteer agency, dedicated since 1969 to providing alternatives to reading for children and adults who are visually or physically disabled and/or learning differenced."

It seems my search had come full circle.

No comments: