Monday, January 02, 2006

Luz's dreams

Sunday night.

She was giving me a ride home when I got on my cellphone and called up my mom. "Mommy, guess what? Patrick and I...are coming to visit!"

The response was loud enough for Luz to overhear. "Everybody! Farah and Patrick are coming to Seattle!" There are cheers and excited responses from my siblings in the background.

~*~*~*

Saturday night.

She arrives at a large and well-appointed home with a pool in the backyard. There are people milling about, mostly Filipino. It is Patrick's and my home, and the occasion is a party. She finds me sitting and cradling an infant who instantly reminds her of me. As Luz approaches, I begin to nurse my baby girl. Suddenly remembering something, I call out "Honey, can you come here for a moment?"

A young child hurries to my side. Boy? Girl? The hair is longish, the age approximately three or four years. A girl, most likely. "Yes, Mommy?" My request is inaudible below the hubbub of the party. Then my older child murmurs assent and disappears back into the throng.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha. the image of mommy yelling excitedly is pretty funny to me. i think at most she would say, "oh, that's good." then repeat it to us later. is it bad that i didn't call home for new year's?

i commented a few entries down saying you were a n00b to sleepovers. you ladies gave up on it early.

happy new year!
i hate growing up.

-h

faerah said...

yeah, i thought it was a little over top, but luz lives a little more exuberantly, so maybe it's just artistic license?

if it's bad, then that makes two of us reprobates.

yeah we had an encore performance on the 30th. We got our hair trimmed at a nearby clipper place, then highlighted each others' hair.

and we still left early because blanca and i had work the next day.

happy new year to you too.

what's with the growing pains?