Monday, January 16, 2006

shoe-shopping


For the first time in our married life, we bought Patrick non-Wal-Mart shoes. First we got him a pair of Hush Puppies' Richmond in black, from DSW. He alternated between delight ("It's like encasing your feet in pillows!") and remorse ("I can't believe I spent $60 on a pair of shoes.")

He's been complaining about the cost these past two days, and has been informed that Hush Puppies normally go for $100, and that his friends usually spend $150 on Kenneth Coles (New York, not Reaction).



Chastened by friends' and coworkers' admonitions, we returned to DSW and purchased the Recoil, also from Hush Puppies, in brown leather this time.

Naturally, I got a pair of shoes, too: career loafers with a two-inch stacked heel, from the house "Kelly and Katie" line -- über-comfortable and only $15. Pix in a more recent post here.
I'll admit I'm envious of the idea of a $120 shoe-shopping spree, but the fact of the matter is that we only buy Patrick shoes once a year. At $10 a month, he's actually spent far less than I would in the same timeframe. And I don't ever recall buying a pair of shoes that made me feel like I was walking on clouds.

We're only $50 away from our $25 gift certificate from DSW and my New Year "polished corporate" look is slowly coming together.

~*~*~*

The "Kelly & Katie" brand seems to be made for DSW by Liz Claiborne. A short discussion and handy link to the U.S. Patent Office is available through Google Answers.

No comments: