Saturday, March 25, 2006

she had an abortion

it's none of my business. It's her own choice, and certainly well within character. Why am I so angry?

I adopted her dog.

She used to hint-hint-hint to her mother all the time: "Mom, wouldn't you like to have a grandkid?"

"No," came the weary, and surprisingly truthful reply. "I can barely take care of Dean."

"Be reasonable," I'd tell her. Who would take care of the baby when she was at work, asleep, or out with friends. "Um...I kinda thought mom would."

She bugged us all into getting a dog. An adorable, affectionate chocolate Lab. She took care of him for two weeks, and after that her father took on the walks and the feedings. She would play with Cocoa sometimes after work. A half-hour, maybe.

A month after Cocoa had lived there, she said she was returning the dog. Unless...

I don't know. I don't know I don't know I don't know. I resent her choice and I don't know what I wish for instead but I hate her for it anyway. For being spoiled and selfish and irresponsible, but mostly for being so flippant about it all.

Yet still it's none of my business. It doesn't concern and shouldn't affect me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ugh.

fuck parents who don't know how to raise children, and children who think they're parents.

-h

faerah said...

i'm worried that our venom merely reflects our motherhood frustrations.

Anonymous said...

i like my mother's motherhood.

not perfect, but i could've turned out worse.

as for my motherhood, it's not frustrated. it's nonexistent. haha.

-h