Sunday, December 10, 2006

this is not how i planned on spending my weekend.

I was supposed to get my birthday celebration with the hubby. I was supposed to be wined and dined by candlelight -- or other soft, complexion-kind romantic lighting -- with red roses and rich chocolates and i-love-yous and lingering kisses. I was supposed to get an operatic serenade at the Macaroni Grill, watch an endearing animated movie and buy new shoes.

Instead I've done dishes, laundry and various household chores; paid library fines; and whiled away the hours at the computer. Just like any other weekend.

I've been refilling the Vicks Vaporizer to try to keep his secretions thin, made inumerable teas and soups, and watched "Over the Hedge" (again) and "Superman Returns" (for the first time) on DVD. Brandon Routh is a cutie.

Dean was dropped off at 4:30 for an hour's babysitting while the in-laws went shopping. A library trip, several bowls of ramen noodles, a few rounds of "Halo 2" and one LAN game of "Warcraft III: Frozen Throne" later, the boys are watching "Over the Hedge" while I prepare dinner: miso soup and homestyle beef and rice.

He is sorry. As he reads over the entry I am typing out he apologizes for being sick, for needing care and putting a damper on our plans. I have one small consolation: I am the reigning Queen of the Frozen Throne.

No comments: