Sunday, March 09, 2008

I've been watching more movies than might be considered healthy.

At least one a day.

It's Not Such a Wonderful Life: "The Butterfly Effect"
Though the ending to the theatrical version was sweeter, I think the director's cut was more fitting: it tied up all the loose ends, made sense of both the fortune teller's words and the protagonist's effects on his loved ones' lives. Interestingly, the movie became an antithesis to "It's a Wonderful Life".

"No Reservations"
Reactions to this movie have commented on the lack of chemistry amongst the players: the man, the woman, the child... I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones nailed the character of the brilliant perfectionist chef. If she's unemotional it's because she doesn't know how to be, that she found too long ago that the path to success in a man's world necessitated subsuming all else that she might be towards her work. She thawed out of course, in a "Philadelphia Story" kind of way.

"Labyrinth"
Though still a charming kids' movie, I am sad to report that "Labyrinth" does not wear its age well. The Muppeteering and musical numbers that seemed magical in their time are simply dated.

1 comment:

atypicalhaze said...

Labyrinth is a great movie that I look forward to watching drunk/high if possible. Someday.

I got your voicemail, but don't think I'll be able to call you until Saturday. I already spoke to Mader; it's a no-go. Should I bring a sleeping bag?

You should probably call her anyway, considering it's Mader's Day.

Finally, is there a main e-mail you use? Is it on gmail? Please e-mail me to respond to that q.