Saturday, December 03, 2005

re: the question of blue eyes

not blogging has been strange, very strange. Though I was neither prolific nor consistent as a blogger, once I'd stopped I found I had steady stream of blog-readying thoughts with no outlet. I'd catch myself making mental notes and taking verbal snapshots of things I'd seen, quirky comments I'd overheard, musings on the meaning of it all.

And somehow it seemed that the most sensible way to keep all these random thoughts in check was to crowd them out with others' words. Plus, I suddenly had so much more free time and had really missed reading literarily so I hit the library.

I'm currently reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" for the first time, and I absolutely love the lyrical phrasing. I am reminded of Filipino short stories in English, and of lazy high school afternoons spent reading them whilst peeling dalanghita.

I would be excited about the upcoming movie , but it's from Sony pictures, none of the female leads are Japanese, the star is Zhang Ziyi, and her eyes are blue. Why are her eyes blue? In the book, Chiyo/Sayuri's eyes are described as translucent gray, just like her mother's: "the same peculiar eyes of a sort you almost never see in Japan".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay i read that book! i was so convinced it was a nonfiction book that i googled the painter to find out what exactly his painting looked like. :P i was excited to hear they were making the movie, but i also think it looks a bit disappointing. is it just me, or are they recycling asian actors? michelle yeoh and ziyi zhang were also in crouching tiger. boo. i think michelle yeoh is a good actress, though.

h

faerah said...

yeah, i was similarly duped. It wasn't until after I'd reread the prologue that I realized that the so-called translator had a different name fro the author.

the truth is, there are no japanese-american actors to fill the roles, and japan's not about to complain because it's an american novel. Personally, I think they should have just picked up (and launched the international careers of) some Japanese actors and given them English lessons. The Chinese-accented voiceover in the trailer bars any chance of immersing myself in the geisha experience.

i do love michelle yeoh. if i watch the movie it will be to see Ken Watanabe, whom patrick and i both loved in "The Last Samurai".

hahaha...just looked up the movie at imdb.com. Diane Mizota is in it. If you don't know her from G4-TechTV, then it's "Fook Mi" to you. The cast does seem to be mostly of Japanese or American descent, with quite a few Chinese and one possible Filipina.