Wednesday, August 30, 2006

"You're all dressed up today."

"I dress up every day."

"True. You wanna know what I think? I think you're looking for a boyfriend."

If I were feeling saucy, or if perhaps the backhanded compliment were issued by a friend, I might have asked if he knew anyone who fit the bill. As it was, I replied matter-of-factly, "I already have a boyfriend. Who also happens to be my husband, which works out really well, since everything's legal."

But the thought echoes and rankles: I look like I'm looking for a man. I find now that the thought needlessly colors comments coworkers have made to me in the past about my husband, my clothes, my shoes.

You know what though? I am no hussy. I can count on one hand the number of people I really talk to at work. I don't see or talk to any of them after work or on my days off. I don't do plunging necklines, sheer fabrics or slits up to my tonsils. If I wear skirts and dresses instead of jeans and sneakers, it's because I don't feel that athletic shoes are appropriate anywhere other than the track and other sporting venues, and feminine clothes flatter heels better. Big hairy deal.

2 comments:

atypicalhaze said...

i feel that way sometimes when i go out looking extra good, especially since graham is nowhere around. but, damn it, i feel good, so why can't i look good? i feel i'm doing him a disservice as well by not being a hot chica when i run into his friends on campus.

-h

atypicalhaze said...

p.s.-

here they are:
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/prodDisplay/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=XC-200513&cgname=OSKEYSHUZZZ&rfnbr=2834

chocolate brown, and sexy but painful. i need insoles for them, i think. they're great for the new trousers that seem to stretch on forever.

-h