Saturday, May 27, 2006

have I been watching too much Comedy Central?

We have a new associate with an unusual name.

He seems to be South Asian. My manager was talking to him while I walked into Personnel to make some photocopies. "Say your name again," she said, "but slower this time."

He enunciates emphatically, trilling the r, "Harrrr.....DIK!"

I try so hard to stifle my laughter, I end up choking. They both look at me blankly.

~*~*~*

I've been working where I do for so long, I take it for granted that everyone knows the basics about me. So it came as a surprise that a coworker asked me out to lunch today. I asked him if he perhaps had me confused with someone else. He said no.

"Okayyy...I'm married."

"Okayyy...never mind then."

~*~*~*

Which reminds me of the last time someone at work asked me out. He'd been working there maybe two weeks, and I think he was a teenager who thought I was his age. He asked me what I was doing Friday. (It was sooo tempting to say "My husband"!) I smiled broadly and displayed my wedding band. "I'm married."

I have never had someone walk away from me so quickly.

No comments: