Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mission Impossible: 3

It's good. I'm sorry.

I was prepared to hate the movie. It still took me a good hour to get past "Tom Cruise. Ugh." But I really really enjoyed the strong female roles: Keri Russell as Lindsey Ferris (Bye-bye Felicity!), Maggie Q as Zhen, and even Michelle Monaghan as Julia.

No spoilers here, because I'd rather you watched the movie yourself. (Because Tom Cruise deserves to be richer, right?) It was very refreshing to see realistic women in action roles, i.e., non-supermodel types who neither worship their biceps nor rely on butt shots and pushup bras for the action shots. Zhen in particular is a breath of fresh air, because up until now there were no Asian-American action roles in Hollywood. And yet here she is: not flying from rooftops, not imported from the Hong Kong film industry, not whispering her lines in halting, heavily-accented English. Thank God.

No comments: