Saturday, April 01, 2006

how rumors get started, and take on lives of their own

I called my mom last night; we talked for an hour. Among other things, she mentioned that my older sister (who's been married ten years, and has four kids) left a tearful long-distance message on the answering machine last month "I can't take this anymore. I want to leave him. I want a divorce."

My mom was at work at the time, but when she heard the message and called my sister back the following day, she was told that everything was fine.

Now imagine me telling this story in the break room at work, and relating the bit in quotes with appropriate emotion. And a little too loudly. At which point some of the guys leaving the smoking lounge happen to overhear just the answering machine message. "Are you getting a divorce, Farah? Cause if you are, I wanna be the first to show you around town."

Um, sure.

Half an hour later another coworker happens to drop by the Personnel Office where I spent most of the afternoon. "I heard you're getting a divorce?"

i realize what day it is, but I swear this really happened.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahha

what's this i hear about you getting a divorce and moving up to seattle?

i'm looking for a spring coat... something like a short trench coat, preferably belted, maybe a bright color like fuschia or lavender. and thin. i might just end up getting military-ish jacket from ae.com. in boring green, or in khaki which i already sort of have in the form of a corduroy peacoat from the gap.

ideas?

-h

Anonymous said...

actually i was referencing your post.

hm... the colors and sizes available for that trench don't work for me. how about this?

http://www.classiccloseouts.com/items.asp?shopper_id=DKIKH04B02F2006JH2001254903&item_id=38090&cart_add=1

-h