Thursday, November 23, 2006

happy thanksgiving, all

I didn't watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade nor the Cowboys game, so don't ask me who won. It was a beautiful day for a walk: clear blue skies, balmy breeze. Despite the landscapers' efforts, bright yellow dandelions still thrive around here. I plucked one for myself while walking Cocoa this morning. It sits limp and dejected on my cluttered desk; I'd forgotten to put it in water when we got home.

I'm all dressed up and ready for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm tapping out a blog entry in a black velvet dress and lace-trimmed leggings. The apartment smells like Thanksgiving. I have a pecan pie, a pumpkin pie and two flans cooling on the stove. Just waiting for Patrick to get dressed and we're headed off to the in-laws'. Yes, it's 8 pm, but they eat late. Really late.

Got off the phone half an hour ago. I've been catching up with my mom and little sister (yes, you'll always be my "little" sister), wishing everyone a happy holiday and whatnot. Apparently the older sis is working on baby #5. She'll be 30 in February.

And I'll be 28 next month and still barren.

okay, things I am thankful for:

a loving husband
an affectionate dog
good health

and wonderful friends who keep me smiling.

4 comments:

atypicalhaze said...

"little"... boo. oh, well. g is a "little" brother. :)

wow, that's a lot of pie. send one over to your hungry little sister, please...

haha, "barren"? someone's being overdramatic.

when we were saying grace i meant to say "i'm thankful for my family," but "boyfriend" came out first. i don't know, man...

faerah said...

LOL!

i can imagine the ribbing that followed, but for the life of me I cannot imagine the expressions on the 'rents' faces...

atypicalhaze said...

no ribbing, just frozen expressions on their faces. i tend to think that they are heartbroken at moments like this. like, mommy's envisioning me setting her money ablaze in a huge pile, and daddy's seeing me walking around the house with a big ol' preggy belly and no teef.

faerah said...

pfft.

"Heartbroken"? And you say I'M overly dramatic.

I think your visions are all wrong. It's more likely they see you turning into another Isah or Farah: married, estranged, settled into an unambitious family life in which a college degree is irrelevant.