Tuesday, February 07, 2006

dreading the dawn

I've been living in a bubble, thinking I saw the world clearly and for what it truly was and would be. Now I see the walls between myself and the outside world growing thin and transparent, and reality, ominous and frighteningly changeable, threatens to engulf me.

People wonder how I could have stayed with Wal-Mart for so long. In reality, I haven't really been working at Wal-mart. My store (and yes, I do think of it as that), one of the littlest neighborhood Wal-Mart Supercenters in the U.S., was cozy and friendly and different.

But seasons change, tides turn and big bad Wal-Mart, just as everyone knows from the media, is coming to town. With a ready smile and a monstrous efficiency it descends and devours, and few can escape its grasp.

The little store that could will not survive, and I don't know that I can bear to watch that happen.

Or maybe it's just the same old things with me: restlessness, fear of change, and trying to escape the inevitable.

No comments: