Sunday, June 11, 2006

the flat-out truth

It started innocently enough, with a Yahoo link to a minor news blurb about a bunion Victoria Beckham may or may not have. I spent the rest of Saturday night reading about symptoms, treatment and prevention of clawtoes, hammertoes and bunions.

Research links pointed, high-heeled shoes to an increased likelihood of developing one or more of these conditions. My newfound knowledge concerned me enough to reconsider the 3-inch heels I usually wear to work. So I wore flats.

The queasiness began as soon as I stepped into the store. Everything seemed taller and out of reach, and I felt short and small and unfabulous. Halfway through my shift my back began to ache. As the day wore on I found that my walking/lifting/standing/reaching job had become more difficult: things I could get to before were now just 2 or 3 inches beyond my grasp. It seems I really need the high heels I stand or strut around in for 10 to 12 hours most days of the week.

No comments: