Wednesday, June 28, 2006

thwarted travels

I requested vacation time from July 18th to 25th because we'd been invited to Miami for a baby shower. As it turns out, we can't afford to go, and so we've turned down the invitation. Then my family sent me a $500 check, which still wouldn't have been enough for us to stay in Florida for a week, but is enough for a plane ticket for me to visit the folks for the first time in six years.

We deposited the check yesterday, which is a bit of a big deal for me. My mom sends me a check every year on my birthday, usually for around half the amount. I never cash the checks. But this time around, since in a way I'd be spending it on my parents, I thought it would be okay.

Patrick and I reviewed our finances again today and it looks like the money's already spoken for. We had a bit of car trouble over the past couple of weeks, which threw our payment schedule off.

We saw "Cars" this afternoon with Dean and their cousin Myka. I cried...a lot. For the scenic byways and panoramic views, for things taken for granted and bypassed, for myself and my half-baked, shelved dreams.

2 comments:

atypicalhaze said...

OOOH! ooh!!! should i tell them about this? when will it be?

hm. i read a review noting the misanthropic tendencies of cars. a bit odd, but also interesting.

it's not too late to go back to school. you don't have kids, you're still sprightly, and as far as i see you're still smart. do it.

faerah said...

no, please don't. like i said, the money's already spoken for. =(