Friday, September 09, 2005

my first day back at work

Much has been said in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. All i know is that when i came in today, my department was completely wiped out of basics: Hanes value-packaged panties and socks in all sizes were completely sold out. In my two years as department manager, that has never happened.

Alright, so I was on vacation. But still.

In the little province where I was born, when store shelves were empty after a storm, it was because hoarders had taken all they could and were stockpiling supplies to resell at ludicrous prices. Or because some local government officials had decided that funds earmarked for relief could be diverted just a bit, to stamp "Donated by (corrupt politico)" on canned goods and rice and sugar.

Americans are often derided for being decadent and consumerist. Some days, walking through the seemingly-endless aisles of a warehouse club, my eyes begin to sting at such excess. But today, as I scanned and reordered peg upon empty peg of underwear, purchased by my neighbors to clothe strangers they will probably never meet, the tears began to flow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:(

Anonymous said...

lmao wow. is it sad that i would consider it?

although i wouldn't enjoy being walked in on or developing a red ring around my mouth a la 1st-3rd grade. :X

h

Anonymous said...

hahaha this shirt is for you:

nerdyshirts

h

faerah said...

i'd like to get the karaoke muzzle, actually. I just can't figure out how (the retail site is in kanji).

as for the shirt: not really. I have $15 that's holding out for a "I'd rather be playing Guild Wars" tee.

f