Friday, September 16, 2005

things have been difficult lately.

For the past six weeks we've been kiting checks, watching the checking account bump its limit, skating by till the next payday. It's gotten old.

Poor planning and poor time management made the two weeks allocated for our move too brief. And now we're neither here nor there, not quite moved in, not quite moved out. Though the situation is manageable and "under control", both at work and at home i feel ill-at-ease, playing catchup and fretting about the things i should be doing elsewhere, no matter where i am.

I keep (kept) my department fastidiously neat. It is how I keep sane through my workweek. I have been back for over a week and it is still nowhere near as clean as when i left it, and it is driving me up the wall.

At home too i cannot get a grip. I think of something to do and something else needs to be bought, something else needs to be found or put away or replaced and I cannot think i cannot move i cannot get it together. I wish i had more time. I dream of being a homemaker, of using the same time and care i devote thanklessly at work to create a healing place for patrick and myself, a safe haven from which we venture out to explore the world.

Barring that, because of financial constraints, time pressures and the limitations of apartment living, I find myself obsessing over shoes.

4 comments:

Smokin' Mama said...

I have no doubt you will survive. By reading your earlier posts it is clear you are strong. And lets face it money is always tight.. I say treat you and the hubby to some sushi or a nice t-bone & pick up a lotto ticket or two.

The greatest mistake in life is being afraid to make one!

Good Luck

faerah said...

thanks for the encouragement, maggie. =)

The Mega Millions jackpot is $250 million tonight -- not that I placed a bet.

i can't believe i've been in texas almost 5 years and haven't had a nice steak dinner. I've eaten plenty of sushi, though.

sushi...yummm...

Anonymous said...

don't you hate how money runs everything?

it'll work out. good luck with the rest of moving in!

h

Anonymous said...

it's funny because i've been thinking about shoes, shoes and more shoes myself.

i'm with you on the financial constraints and time pressures and, ok, i don't live in an apartment, but i also don't have an adoring husband so that about makes it even.

i say, obsess about shoes all you want. we need to have our little fixes.

and i CAN'T believe you haven't had a nice steak dinner yet. go out and indulge in some carnivorous delight.

- k

*wow, it took me forever to open this comment page. this pc needs to go...